Thursday, May 13, 2010

The Percussion Section Prayer

Archbishop Spalding High School's music students competed in Virginia Beach this year.  We took 260 high school students who performed with six instrumental groups and six vocal groups to Virgina Beach April 22-24, 2010.

I realize I'm a kid fan, and not just of my own, but of kids in general.  So, my angle is that I believe in these kids and all the potential they have plus what they have yet to realize.   Each year, and I've been a part of band trips since Meghan was 10 years old, I am more and more amazed by these kids.  They represent all that is good in kids today.  They are committed, kind, compassionate, polite, fun-loving, wonderful kids.  This year's trip was no exception.

Well, except ... for one thing! 

So, let me set the stage.  My job on these trips is to make sure kids get where they're supposed to be on time, dressed appropriately and with all the stuff they need to perform.  Some might say t's a pretty tough job.  But, as noted above, these kids are awesome!

As I am walking back from the warm-up room after making sure the Wind Ensemble students were settled in and warming up with the director, I look over to the entrance to the hall and see this group (photo).  This is the percussion gang.  They are gathered in a group, much like football players before a game.  They are chanting and it's getting louder and louder.  I am kind of waiting for Ray Lewis to pop up and start asking about dogs.  At any rate, they rile themselves into quite a fury, break huddle with a yell and start moving equipment into the hall and onto the stage. 

I look at one of the dad's and ask what apparently is the most ridiculous question ever asked.  I say, "what was that?"  And, the answer, "oh, that's just the prayer."  I say, "the what?"  And the response is "the prayer."  Now, this didn't look like a prayer to me, so naturally I am intrigued.  Noticing the perplexed look, he goes on to explain.

"Your son started this freshman year.  Before every performance this percussion group gathers in a circle and says a prayer.  Some are somber and some are roudy, but still, its a prayer. Its what they do.  Didn't you know that?  Haven't you ever seen this before?"  I answer, "No, I had no idea.  But, that was one of the coolest things I have ever seen!"  The dad says, "I know."  Like a true mom, I say, "We should get this on video."  The dad, with a look of shock and exasperation on his face says, "absolutely not.  That would ruin it." 

Huh? 

Then, I get the real explanation, which is confirmed by the members of the percussion group later.  They tell me, "It's a guy thing. You wouldn't understand.  It's what we do, but it's only for us.  No girls and no video allowed!"

I feel completely put in my place.  At the same time, I am deeply proud of my son and his friends, and really grateful I got to see it!  

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I bet you felt proud being a witness to that! Especially since Patrick started the prayer ritual!