Thursday, May 13, 2010

Oh, the places you'll go ...

Ryan is taking a two courses during a maymester program through school.  Six credits in Greek culture and civilization.  Now, if you're going to take six credits in Greek culture and civilization, doesn't it seems logical to take those courses in Greece!

On Tuesday, May 11, Brian and I drove Ryan to JFK in New York so she could begin what I hope will be the first of many amazing journeys.  The plan:  arrive at JFK in plenty of time to check in, get some money exchanged, go over some last minute advice and get her through security.  We thought we had it planned perfectly - no long goodbyes and no tears from me!

Right.  So, reality check.  Flight is delayed five hours, guaranteed to miss the connection in Rome to Athens and the ticket counter isn't opening for another two hours.  Yikes.  Regroup.  Gather with other C of C students going on the trip.  Their professor was not with the group as he went ahead to ensure all was safe in Athens prior to their arrival.  Not a bad idea, however it would be nice to have another representative from the school traveling with the students.  I know, they're not in high school anymore.  I know, they'll figure it out.  But, I'm also a huge fan of less stress for all involved.

Only one or two students in the group had ever flown internationally before, so they were all a little out of their element.  It's tough.  They're college students and supposed to be burgeoning adults.  However, they are still 19 year old kids.  So, I put my momma hat on and we guided them through check in with luggage all the way to Athens, rebooking connecting flights in Rome, and exchanging some money so they would have Euros in Rome. 

Everything happens for a reason.  I think Ryan and the other students were glad we were there to help and I was so preoccupied with helping them that I didn't have time to worry!  Mission accomplished.

We left after they made it through security.  Ryan called a little while later to say they all got something to eat and then took out their books to begin studying and preparing for the four exams and two oral reports each will have throughout the trip.

It has happened so fast.  My little girl has grown into quite a young woman.  I am filled with pride.  And, yes, there are some tears, too!

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Ryan is going to have such an adventure in Greece! I hope she blogs about her trip.

Terry said...

What a thrilling journey, for both you and Ryan. You should be very proud.